Monday, December 30, 2013

Writing about trans people

A poet in Fat Poets Speak 2: Living and Loving Fatly writes some of the most beautiful haunting poems about being fat and gay. What a couple of people have mentioned is that it is time for us to write about people who are fat and trans. There are indeed trans people around the "fatosphere." One is the friend of friends, but I would be shy to approach him.

I am planning, however, to have a trans character in FatLand 3: To Live Fat and Free. This means, of course, that I will have to learn a lot more about how one lives life as a fat trans person - or fat trans woman, or fat trans man. The thing is, though, that  I would not wish to make friends with someone simply to learn about it. I would want someone to be my friend because I like that person.

Maybe in a way it is good that at almost 60, I am learning (still).


No comments:

Post a Comment