Saturday, September 21, 2013

Fat Poets Speak is a first

It is always dangerous to go out on a limb and say that one or some group is the first to do something, but I believe that Fat Poets Speak is the very first series of books dedicated to fat acceptance/liberation poetry. There are certainly other books that contain fat acceptance/liberation poetry, but they also contain memoirs, interviews, and stories. Our own Fat Poets Speak contains poetry. Only.

I would like to say that when I write fat acceptance poetry, I go into a natural high. This is because for so many years, I didn't feel at ease or in my poetic skin when I wrote poetry, and I didn't know quite why. It is only when I started to read fat acceptance poetry in Radiance Magazine, bless its wonderful heart (and wish it were still around), that I started to understand what was missing from my poetry. 

And my life.

I will be featuring interviews with the poets from Fat Poets Speak, and you will be able to read their stories. Some have been writing poetry for a long time; others started later. One thing, though, that we all have in common is that we are committed to finding words for our fat selves, bodies, spirits and muses (whether the muses are fat or slimmer).

And to making our readers smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment