Monday, September 8, 2014

Last of the Line

What I will probably do is launch a separate blog to write about my mom and our family. Meanwhile..



Last of the Line

I only understood
Long after they’d left
Long after I could have
Asked them the questions
That would have joined the stories.

They ask to be told, but I can only write
And thread them inexpertly,
Like a reluctant tailor’s apprentice:

Great grandma in May Day parades,
Great grandpa making Prohibition wine,
Grandpa at HUAC (House UnAmerican Activities Committee)
 not naming names,
Grandma helping the evicted
back inside.

Will a city embrace them
like some kind friend
or recite them,
Like Kaddish,
And score them with voice
Into hereafter,
Dreams written
Into memory
By the last of the line?






















No comments:

Post a Comment